Monday, March 26, 2012

finding columns

In a specific database. I would like to check to see if a particular column
exists in all my tables i.e user created tables. I know I have to use the
sysobjects and syscolumns table. But I am sorta at loss to find out how they
are related.
Please Help
VJin QA hit F4 then search. It is faster.
"VJ" <vijaybalki@.yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:uMIaRtP8DHA.1428@.TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> In a specific database. I would like to check to see if a particular
column
> exists in all my tables i.e user created tables. I know I have to use the
> sysobjects and syscolumns table. But I am sorta at loss to find out how
they
> are related.
> Please Help
> VJ
>|||Some query tools can do this, urSQL (http://www.urbanresearch.com/ursql) and Query Analyzer for example. You can do it programatically via ADO.OpenSchema(), sp_help, or DMO... Of course querying the system tables is always an option -- something like (this doesn't narrow to the database level)
select so.name as 'Table', sc.Name as 'Column
from syscolumns s
join sysobjects so on so.id = sc.i
wher
xo.xtype = 'u
--an
--sc.name like '%column_name_to_find%
group by so.name,sc.nam
...the usual caveats apply (MS does not recommend using the system tables, etc, etc)|||Thanks for the input
"ME" <mail@.moon.net> wrote in message
news:evDDMvP8DHA.2028@.TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> in QA hit F4 then search. It is faster.
> "VJ" <vijaybalki@.yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:uMIaRtP8DHA.1428@.TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> > In a specific database. I would like to check to see if a particular
> column
> > exists in all my tables i.e user created tables. I know I have to use
the
> > sysobjects and syscolumns table. But I am sorta at loss to find out how
> they
> > are related.
> >
> > Please Help
> >
> > VJ
> >
> >
>

No comments:

Post a Comment